What you need to Know.
Section 6106 of the Affordable Care Act requires facilities to electronically submit direct care staffing information (including agency and contract staff) based on payroll and other auditable data. The data, when combined with census information, can then be used to not only report on the level of staff in each nursing home, but also to report on employee turnover and tenure, which can impact the quality of care delivered.
- The tracking / calculating of ACTUAL EMPLOYEE AND VENDOR DAILY net WORKED hours by labor class/type.
- The ability to provide audit capabilities of IN/OUT transactions, net worked hours and labor type / class reported.
- The submission through to CMS either manually through the CMS-PBJ data input screen or the transmission of an input file via the web to CMS.
Note: To manually track / calculate and KEY IN PBJ data would take conservatively two FTE’s for every 100 staff.
How to Prepare:
Assess your current workforce.
- Identify all employees and contracted agency or vendors who perform activities that fall into the category of “Direct Care”. Identify the job description and pay type for each individual.
- Know what data needs to be submitted:
- Assess how you are tracking the information currently. If you are using a Time and Attendance system, verify that they will be creating an XML file for you. Remember the information must be auditable and verifiable.
Evaluate how you submit the required information to the PBJ System:
- Manual Entry
Upload an XML file directly from an automated system.
- StaffScheduleCare has ALREADY successfully uploaded an XML file with CMS.
Communicate with all of your external service providers and vendors to formulate a plan on how to collect and gather the required information.
- SSC has a vendor tracking module that can help you with this tracking.
Register at QTSO to get your CMSnet user ID
- Once registered, login go to PBJ User Registration – to register for the PBJ System.
Submit the information as required by the submission dates.
Quarter Date Range Submission Date Comments 1 October 1, 2015 - December 31, 2015 February 14, 2016 Voluntary Period 2 January 1, 2016 - March 31, 2016 May 15, 2016 Voluntary Period 3 April 1, 2016 - June 30, 2016 August 14, 2016 Voluntary Period 4 July 1, 2016 - September 30, 2016 November 14, 2016 MANDATORY
|Employee & Service Providers||Hour Info||Census Info|
|ID||Date Worked||# on Last day of Month **|
|Hire Date||Labor Category|
|Termination Date||Hours Worked (by day)*|
**Resident Census for Medicaid / Medicare / Other for the last day of each month during the period being submitted.